Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Violin Plate Tuning & Weight Corrolation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Schmidt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Darnton wrote:

"If that's where you want to be making, where the money is, and that is indeed where the money is, tuning--forcing a violin to vibrate only in certain ways--is one of the various things that will help you get there."

Michael,
I could not help focusing on what you finally said. Well, yes, if that's where the money is, I would be glad to use "tuning" to make some money. Actually, I am not trying to make money selling violins. I am too old for that. But if I were, I would take your advice and use "tuning."

Now, in that vein, I still am trying to prove or disprove the idea, delineated a bit here http://jpschmidtviolins.com/stiffness_experiment.pdf, that a stiffer top requires a stiffer back. Seems intuitive, does it not? Just because I am curious. Really curious. The realm of soloist instruments is a whole different ball game. Not my aspiration. But the realm of advanced students and orchestra players is viable, isn't it?
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know from tests whether the idea is good, but I do know that Strad tops and backs are usually somewhat in proportion to each other, as are del Gesus, even with very thick grads, and that the rib thicknesses track VERY roughly as well. Which is logical in any structure, that you wouldn't want to let any part get out of scale with the others. But I don't know if I would call that concept magical as much as just logical, and I doubt that they were doing a lot of measurement on it (for instance, the ribs don't track grads strictly, only generally), and the Cremonese weren't the only ones in Italy keeping roughly to that idea, either.

A different data point is that the Venetians habitually made backs proportionally thinner than the tops, relative to the the Cremonese standard. They were really the ONLY school of making doing this, and it's notable that many people consider the Venetians second only to the Cremonese, tonally, in spite of this, and that in that they push the Milanese and Neapolitans and Mantuans and Romans and all of the others that kept more or less to something similar to what the Cremonese were doing back out of consideration.

So is the Cremonese habit on this that important, given that #2 place is held by someone who doesn't do it, followed by a bunch of makers in #3 through #infinity place doing what the Cremonese did? I'm inclined to say the practice is practical and logical but not inevitably superior, and not a secret bullet for success.
John Schmidt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and insight. So let me re-phrase what I think I am hearing. Cremonese with top and back plates matched in the sense that stiffer backs require stiffer tops, with backs stiffer than tops.

Then the Venetians, with less stiff backs.

Then the "othes" who follow the Cremonese idea.

Can you characterize the sound of the Venetians as a group? Compared to the Cremonese?

I have read in several places that stiffer tops, paired with less-stiff backs can work. I have never tried it.
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear the Venetians described as "almost Cremonese", and that's about as descriptive as I can be. I would say that they really are. Generally, they're a bit darker sounding, maybe warmer, but not a lot, and not consistently. . . . not a really huge difference, really.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the warmth/darkness comes from backs being thinner in general, not from their relationship to the tops.
ctviolin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjb wrote:

well maybe I thought too much!! boca grande award!

That's a top award.
Revel in it kjb - I've won it before, many times...
John Schmidt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought it over.
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Schmidt wrote:
thought it over.

And?

I'm just curious.
I've read your posts for many years, John. And I often wonder if you're trying to get violins to fit a particular scheme that you've already accepted as a correct idea regarding design parameters,
or, if you're thinking over whether or not this base idea should be considered for it's validity, in particular when looking at how instruments that already exist, and are considered well voiced, might compare in their basic design parameters?

Like I've already said, I'm just curious. Is this anything you'd like to comment on?
John Schmidt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctviolin wrote:
John Schmidt wrote:
thought it over.

And?

I'm just curious.
I've read your posts for many years, John. And I often wonder if you're trying to get violins to fit a particular scheme that you've already accepted as a correct idea regarding design parameters,
or, if you're thinking over whether or not this base idea should be considered for it's validity, in particular when looking at how instruments that already exist, and are considered well voiced, might compare in their basic design parameters?

Like I've already said, I'm just curious. Is this anything you'd like to comment on?

Craig,

Thanks for you interest. I am just trying to learn how to consistently make "decent" violins. By that I mean ones that would be useful to serious violin students. My degree is in physics, so I believe in cause and effect. The world should be decipherable in physical things. Ok, the violin is not simple, but still, it involves physics. Don Noon has done a remarkable job in making so much progress. I don't have the time and "smarts" that he does. But I have fun in meeting the challenges.

I take pleasure in knowing that a few of my violins are useful to semi-professional violinists and just plain enthusiasts.

Right now, I am having a blast teaching three adult students the violin making process. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I do know something about violin making. Tuition is free, but I could not have more fun if they paid me. A mortician (man), a history teacher (woman), an engineer (man).

I am sticking with my Sauret Guarneri. Hopefully there is nothing wrong with the model. #16 is a delight, so far. #17, while it should be identical to 16, it is not. This craft is nutso fun.
kjb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's an admirable to help other people. thats how I learned, and a number of well knows also
terryc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjb wrote:
that's an admirable to help other people. thats how I learned, and a number of well knows also

I will join in with that! I have had a little time to cool off since March 4th.

I was the one who started this thread and was met head-on with a comment by the moderator, 'That's fine. Time to move on'.
You got to be kidding!!!

I virtually knew nothing about violin making, but because I have somewhat of a genuine and vested interest in the instrument, inasmuch as I play one and have an interest in detail
I thought it would be reasonable to 'reach out' to the 'like minded' community.

I am a first time builder, and that comment was like getting hit in the head with a cannon ball! Just was not prepared for such a curt response.
Nothing like encouaging the troups! I want to thank Chet and John S for reaching out.
Terry
DonLeister

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let Michael's quick reply mean too much, I think what he meant to say was 'it looks great, what's next?'.

I thought your graduations looked spot on btw. I hope you are moving along nicely with it.

Making a violin is one of those things that can take a week or a year to do, and so naturally you have different things to think and share about if you do the former or latter. I don't mean that as criticism at all, that is what I have experienced.
As much as I try to be consistent from one to the next they have differences and the (insert long ramble here)...
terryc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,
Thanks for reaching out. I especially apprecate it, coming from someone who I know to be respected in the trade.
Not having the experience that some of you have gained over the years, I am relying on printed media with sometimes conflicted info. Hard to sort it out while trying so hard, NOT to screw things up beyond recovery. I am encouraged none the less.
Again, I do appreciate your acknowledgement.
Terry
MANFIO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, you wrote "Strad tops and backs are usually somewhat in proportion to each other, as are del Gesus". What proportions is this? In weight? About tops 1 and backs 1.5?

I am not a science guy but I started also weighting and taking notes of tap tones of the top and back prior to be graduated.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7875988@N02/with/464604020/
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terryc wrote:

I am a first time builder, and that comment was like getting hit in the head with a cannon ball! Just was not prepared for such a curt response.

OK, genuinely confused. Would you rather I had made up some problem you didn't have, and answered that? When I said everything was fine, that was precisely what I meant. Your graduations were well within the normal range, there was nothing to do or worry about except continue making.

There are lots of violins that thick that work just fine. Most of the better del Gesus are 50% thicker than yours, and I imagine the plates are much stiffer than yours, and they work, as some of the best violins ever made. I habitually make mine that thick (as the del Gesus--3.5mm tops, backs between 3.0mm and 6.0mm+) and they work, also.

The proper function of the violin rests much more heavily on arching than graduations. If your arch is good, you can get away with a lot in graduations without any negative effect. If the arch is bad, no graduation strategy can correct that. Most new makers don't have a handle on arching: that's what they should be working on, rather than grads.
terryc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,
Thanks for getting back with more specifics which relate to your first hand experience and that is far more productive than saying, 'Move On'. Thank you!

Your remarks today were the first mention of arching so far. I have gone back to my arching templates and remembered that the height measurements between long arch and laterals was not consistent at the time, so I increased the arch slightly to make it work.

When I place the laterals on the c bouts I have about 2 mm space under the ends of the template. When measuring the plate height from a flat surface, it rises 16mm, so from the inside it would be 12mm, given the plate thickness is 4mm.

If this is considered excessive then it is indeed, 'Other one down the rabbit hole'.

You comments will be appreciated.
Terry
[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: