Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Minisaw Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNitkin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: New Minisaw Question Reply with quote

I see this saw offered in the Cremona on-line tool catalog. Has anyone tried it? Is it only available from Italy? Core has a larger Kataba saw that is different from this one.
Kataba mini
Product Code: 505619
Small compact saw that facilitates cuts in difficult positions as in the pegbox.
Blade thickness 0.4 mm, length 74mm.
violinarius

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cremonatools.com/peghole-saw-74mm-cut-lenght.html?___store=en&___from_store=it

http://www.cremonatools.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/3789/image/4504/#
L P Reedy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a tiny Exacto saw, but I find that, for me, an oscillating multitool does the job much faster with less damage.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

L P..... I have never used an oscillating saw ( often thought of getting one for home renovations) but seems control of the tool on a violin might be an issue.
Which model of saw do you use? how thick is the blade?
Do you have a table or jig to hold the violin firmly and a place to rest your hands as you hold the tool?
I assume you plunge on both sides of the neck ... do you plunge the back root seam as well?
Sounds like an interesting solution to neck removal.
Cheers, Mat
L P Reedy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat, I use it to cut out most of the waste inside the pegbox when bushing holes. I wouldn't try to remove a neck with it. The small handsaws I've tried on bushings leave a lot to be desired and take a lot of time. The multi-tool (I have a Dremel and the original Harbor Freight model) is easy to control and cuts fast. I use a 3/8 inch wide blade, but some blades are better than others. Some A-peg bushings are almost impossible to cut with a hand saw but not bad this way.

If you have a Harbor Freight available I recommend trying the variable speed model. I got my Dremel factory reconditioned from Woodcraft but that was a one-time deal.

Lyle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: