Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Import duty between US & Canada???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barry Dudley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Import duty between US & Canada??? Reply with quote

Are there import duty or taxed due on violins shipped between the US and Canada?
I was told by the Canadian post office "no" but one of my Canadian customers said there was $600 duty on a violin I had shipped to Canada from the US?

Please supply first hand knowledge if you have any experience with this subject.
I though that trade between the US and Canad was "free"?
Joseph Leahy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Import duty between US & Canada??? Reply with quote

You will find the home page of the Canada Border Services Agency at http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2009/01-99/tblmod-1-eng.html. Looking under section 92, http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2009/01-99/ch92-eng.pdf you will find rates for musical instruments. Section 92.02 shows that bowed stringed instruments including violins are duty free.

If a person in Canada is charged import duties incorrectly, it is usually the fault of the broker. To get this back, see the description on http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/dispute-contestation-eng.html.

Although a great many (most) commodities are duty free between the US and Canada, not all are. Its best to check this document to confirm the rates.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Barry Dudley wrote:
Are there import duty or taxed due on violins shipped between the US and Canada?
I was told by the Canadian post office "no" but one of my Canadian customers said there was $600 duty on a violin I had shipped to Canada from the US?

Please supply first hand knowledge if you have any experience with this subject.
I though that trade between the US and Canad was "free"?
Barry Dudley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, thank you for you response! Does the candadian citizen have to pay any type of sales tax?
Joseph Leahy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. GST (value added tax) is applicable on everything within Canada or coming in to Canada. It is set now at 5%. Only a few items/circumstances have exempt status so this is almost a guarantee. Each province has its own provincial (same as state tax) tax rate. Alberta is 0%, Ontario, 8%. This site gives a breakdown. http://www.taxtips.ca/pst/pstrates.htm. Note that HST means that the province and the federal rate are harmonized so that the HST rate is the total rate paid which includes both levels of tax.

Barry Dudley wrote:
Joe, thank you for you response! Does the candadian citizen have to pay any type of sales tax?
Barry Dudley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information! 13% on an expensive violin hurts!!!
Joseph Leahy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed!

Barry Dudley wrote:
Thank you for the information! 13% on an expensive violin hurts!!!
Joseph Leahy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry

As a side note, I just wanted to congratulate you on some very nice instruments and the successful growth of your business. Having run my own business for a number of years, I know that you must have put in some hard work and long hours not only developing your luthiery skills but also handling all the various aspects of running the business. Looks like things are going well.

Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: