Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Antiqued?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mshikibu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Antiqued? Reply with quote

Dear list:

I see a lot of instruments in the 3-5K US range which are "antiqued." And I'm wondering, is the antiquing of the instrument merely mostly cosmetic, and is the cost largely a factor of this process?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, "antiquing" is beautiful looking, but is it trying to fool people into thinking you have a very high-cost instrument, and does it have much affect on the actual sound of the instrument?

Psychologically, it's certainly nice to have a beautiful, "old-looking" instrument, but from the perspective of a studio musician, I'd rather spend the money on sound versus looks.

TIA!
Jack H.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antiquing is the in thing nowdays.
A lot of people ike the look of an older instrument but do n ot have the money for one. They do look beautiful and in my opinion it does not detract from th esound. It is just another option to the age old question. red, brown, orange or yellow, now there is antiqued too.
Many of the instruments in that price range come from china. they do make very fine violins there nowadays, many of the better ones are proprietary, an american or european has opened a factory in china and has production set up according to their measurements and standards.
Barry Dudley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antiquing is something that many customer like...but it is not just a modern idea. From things I have read many of the violins from the past were "antiqued".

It doesn't required any more materials but it does take some thought and time to do it well. It is not as easy as many may think.
CT Dolan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philisophically, I am not a fan of antiqing new instruments. However, practically-speaking an instrument already "worn" is a bit less of a worry in handling. Were I to commission a new violin (God willing, some day I will), I would give the decision to antique or not antique some though, but I am pretty sure I would opt for the new look.

I've seen some really nice looking antiqued violins, but there's no escaping that it is what it is...a new instrument! So, what's the point of making it look old other than to pretend, and who wants to do that?
Barry Dudley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ask the question "why antique?" they I guess you must wear blue jeans that are not pre washed or pre faded?

Antiquing is just like any other selection of color of your car, flavor of your ice cream or hair length...it is just what the individual likes. There is nothing wrong with it nor is it any better, just a choice.
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Antiquing Reply with quote

I was recently looking at website for Kelvin Scott, got a gold for his viola in 2004, which is very antiqued. My question is, how do you get a high score for workmanship and varnish on an antiqued violin?

http://ksviolins.com is his website.

Beautiful instruments -- is it harder to antique or is it easier to obscure poor varnish techniques?

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jack H.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a lot harder to do a nice antique job.
First you have to make the instrument perfectly new, then you have to ruin the fantstic job and antique it.
a bad antique job looks just that. bad. a good job makes you wonder if it is real or not. There is a lot more to antiquing than hitting it with all the tools in your tool box, rubbing away varnish and smearing it with fake schmutz.
byacey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it looks old and beaten around when it's new, what will it look like if it survives to be actually, truly old?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: