Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kreutzer Sonata Liza Ferschtman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Cadd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:57 pm    Post subject: Kreutzer Sonata Liza Ferschtman Reply with quote

One of the finest performances of this famous sonata . This lady was unofficially the neice of Phillipe Harschorn as their families were very close .
I spelled her name wrong in the title it should be Liza Ferschtman . When I looked up her details on Wikipedia I was amused to remember the old radio dials .She was born in Hilversum .
The bowing control is superb in the sonata with such detail in the note stresses .Individual stresses for emphasis on single notes .
Her first "teacher" ,Phillipe Harschorn is mentioned in an interview and she said he was not really that good as a teacher but demonstrated things for her as an example .Liza`s bowing is nice and correct with a right angle to the string . Harschorn in his videos was not bothered about that detail and let the angle drift off line without a problem .Like ,on every bow stroke .
John Cadd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Liza Reply with quote

I found a violin section of the Beethoven Sonatas in a Liverpool second hand bookshop. On one page there was a short note .The Kreutzer Sonata page written with a fountain pen (no biro ) at the top was "First attempt Aug 1987" .
On the Sonata No 7 Op 30 No 2 page scribbled in pencil "Studied during the winter of 1994 ".
Not historical times but it was a lovely addition to the book .The second one in pencil could have been written one hundred years earlier . "The winter of 1994 ."
John Cadd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:01 am    Post subject: Liza Reply with quote

Slightly connected with this theme was something I noticed about Phillipe Hartschorn`s playing .He was a family friend of Liza Ferschtman , but in a video of his , you can see a rapid trill in a lower position using the vibrato movement to create the trill . I may need to search that out again. I have only seen that trick used in high positions before .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: