Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bach Sonata N2 Andante

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Cadd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject: Bach Sonata N2 Andante Reply with quote

This short piece has become my favourite in the solo sonatas and I will certainly get into trouble for my next sentences . I can`t find any decent quality recordings (for sound quality ) where the player "gets" this music. The main feel of the piece is captured by Bronislav Huberman in an old recording .He uses the bass notes as a feature in the music .Many players don`t seem to understand what those notes should be doing . Is it a heartbeat? Is it maybe plodding through the snow? Maybe both those together ? But trying to bury it quietly as part of a quiet chord is such a waste . Even Itzak Perlman does not sound in tune with his recording . There is plenty of agony and tragedy in this andante which needs the dischords .Where else can we use up dischords . Now will arrive a post asking me if I could do it better . But that perpetual chestnut denies anyone the right to comment on any music .That is not a healthy situation . We cannot be mice waiting for the cat to pounce on us .
John Cadd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Bach Andante Sonata 2 Reply with quote

The steady slow speed of this andante is vital .Huberman has that perfectly . Pablo Casals stays at the same pace but on a cello the bass notes were left out .You can only reach so far on a cello neck . If the work is played too lightly or just a shade too quickly it loses any meaning . The volume can be varied to give it drama and tragedy .but also some wistful sadness .
Nathan Milstein does not get high marks for this piece on his epic recording of all the solo S&Ps .Overall it`s a short piece that seems to get neglected .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: